Best Homemade Poke Bowl RecipeAugust 1, 2020 2020-08-01 20:11
Best Homemade Poke Bowl Recipe
Best Homemade Poke Bowl
Here’s how to make a poke bowl! Try this easy healthy dinner recipe with rice, ahi tuna marinaded in a flavorful sauce, and lots of veggie topping ideas.
For the poke
- 1-1/2 lb ahi tuna, sushi or sashimi grade 3 steaks, 6 to 8 ounces each
- 1/4 cup minced sweet yellow onion
- 2 each green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil not toasted
- 1 small garlic clove grated
- 1/2 tsp ginger grated
- 1/4 tsp salt
- small squeeze sriracha
For the poke bowl
- 1 cup dry short grain white rice or brown rice
- 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 each watermelon radish or 2 radishes
- 1/2 each cucumber
- 1 cup shelled edamame
- Rice vinegar and salt for seasoning
For the garnish
- Sesame seeds, microgreens or sprouts
- Make the rice: Make the rice on the stovetop or in an Instant Pot. When it’s done, give it a few shakes of rice vinegar and stir in salt to taste. (Or, make the rice in advance and reheat it on the stovetop with a splash of water.)
- For the poke: Slice the tuna into 1-inch cubes. Mince the onion. Thinly slice the green onions. Mix them in a bowl with the soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, kosher salt and Sriracha.
- For most authentic flavor marinate in refrigerator for 15 minutes to 1 hour. Taste and add a sprinkle of salt before serving. (Get this in the fridge while the rice boils and you prep the veggies, and you can eat when it’s all done.)
- Prepare the vegetables: Thinly slice the red cabbage. Place it in a small bowl and add a few shakes of rice vinegar and a few pinches salt. Thinly slice the cucumber and radishes, and salt them with a few pinches of salt.
- Assemble the poke bowls: Place the rice in the bowl and top with the poke and vegetables. Garnish with sesame seeds and greens.